Monday, July 23, 2012

Crock Pot Chicken Nachos!!

I found myself in a bit of a predicament yesterday. It actually began with the amazing time that I had on Saturday at a friend's wedding. Mary & Brian had this gorgeous wedding & reception. It was so special and full of wonderful people. My friends and I danced our little tushies off, and then when the reception ended we took the party elsewhere and danced some more! We danced so much, in fact, that by the time I woke up on Sunday morning afternoon, I was basically immobile.

<3 Myself, Jess, Mary, & Candice <3
This is where the predicament comes in... see, on Sunday's I typically cook a fairly large sized meal so that I can have plenty of leftovers to take to work Monday, have for dinner Monday night, and then possibly probably lunch on Tuesday as well. This is because I am allergic to the beginning of the week and I want to do as little as possible until ohhh.... Thursday or so.  



K, so if I would have had some lunch meat or canned soup or basically anything in my pantry, I probably would have just compromised and ate that all week. But my naked cabinets defied me. 






In an effort to do as little work as possible (while watching movies such as Free Willy, Phenomenon, and Water for Elephants all day), I pulled out the ole handy dandy crock pot and basically threw whatever was in my pantry inside it. 



So while you judge my Sunday movie choices, I'm going to let ya in on a little secret. This smorgasbord of ingredients created a fantastic, multi-purpose dish. I call it nachos because I had a fresh bag of tortilla chips on hand, but in reality it could be just about anything. Make tacos or enchiladas out of it. Serve it over rice or a baked potato. Get crazy. It is the perfect dish for a Sunday because the left overs can be transformed for quite a few days!!


Crock Pot Chicken Nachos

Ingredients:

1.5 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 15 oz can black beans
1.5 cup frozen corn
1 carton chopped mushrooms 
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
2 cups salsa (I used a mango salsa)
4 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup water or chicken broth
.5 oz taco seasoning (I used 1/2 a packet of the Taco Bell brand)
.5 oz ranch seasoning (Ditto as above, Hidden Valley brand)
1 tbsp cumin

Serve with:
tostitos
lettuce
shredded cheese
sour cream
avocado
jalapenos

Directions:

1. Combine all ingredients except cream cheese in your crock pot. Give it a good stir. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours. 
2. About 20 minutes before serving, remove chicken breast from crock pot and shred with a fork. Add shredded chicken and cream cheese back to crock pot. It is ready when the cream cheese has melted.
3. Serve over tostitos with desired toppings. 


Voila, meals for days. Now go forth and conquer your week. 





No comments:

Post a Comment