Layered Salad with Creamy Horseradish Dressing
1 head iceberg lettuce
8 oz fresh spinach
1/2 cup green onion, chopped
1 (16 oz) bag frozen peas (keep these frozen)
1 lb bacon, fried crisp & crumbled
6 hard boiled eggs, cooled and chopped
1 small red onion, sliced thin
8 oz cheddar cheese, shredded or grated
Dressing:1 1/4 cup real mayonnaise
1/4 sour cream
1 tbsp extra hot prepared horseradish or 3 tbsp regular prepared horseradish
2 tsp granulated sugar
1/4 tsp ground red pepper
1. Chop your iceberg lettuce. In a colander, combine and clean the spinach, lettuce, and green onion with water. Let sit for awhile so that it can dry a bit. I lay a few paper towels on the counter top and pour this mixture on top so it can dry.
2. While lettuce mixture is drying, make the dressing. Combine all ingredients together and stir well. Sit aside.
3. Once lettuce mixture is dry, put half of it in the bottom of your trifle dish. Sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper.
4. Spread the chopped eggs on top of lettuce and lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper.
5. Spread the FROZEN peas on top of the eggs.
6. Top with remaining lettuce and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
7. Spread the bacon pieces on top of lettuce.
8. Spread the red onion of top of bacon.
9. Sprinkle the cheese on top of onion. (I forgot to do this so my cheese was sprinkled on the very top, either way works.)
10. Spread the dressing on top as if you are frosting a cake.
11. Cover the salad with plastic wrap and let chill in refrigerator at least 4 hours. I let mine chill overnight.
This salad was soooo good. I am proud to say that I actually ate MORE of it than any of the other sides we had! Quite a few of my family members asked for the recipe. It is another one of those items I will continue to serve every year!! Hope you enjoy it!!